Sunday, December 14, 2008

June Nita

June Nita, my cousin - from dad's side was married on Friday.
I took half the day off to prepare myself. Frankly it has been months/years since we met up. I didnt really had a good opinion of dad's family.

We were never close as a family. Too much historical issues for me. It predates since the days my mom and dad were courting.

Whatever it is, i pushed all those negative feelings aside and braved myself to come and see her before her akad nikah or solemnisation.

For the benefit of non muslim, akad nikah is a ceremony whereby the father of the bride and future son in law will meet. There the father of the bride will formally give away his daughter to the groom. Usually it will be based on an agreed mas kahwin or dowry.
Followed by bridal gifts which will be exchanged.

It is an emotional ceremony for every muslims parents and for the bride, she will be cared for now by her husband and not her father.

I came with my mom and my youngest sister. Earlier I had ordered 2 types of Kueh from Yati - the Kueh Koci and the Kueh Naga Sari. I loveeeddd her mom's kueh.

50 pieces each - no less.

Of course not forgetting the ang pow or duit salam for her. I thought of buying gifts but i decide not to as I am not sure what she likes anyway.

As i look around, i notice that my aunties and uncles are aging..same as my parents..its like..wow..27 years have passed unnoticed...

I wonder what it would be like in 10 years time.

I happen to banter with my eldest Aunt. Surprisingly.

All in all, i didnt really want to spend much time so i left at about 9pm, send sister home and went back to Clementi.

No comments: