Monday, May 13, 2013

Majlis Cukur Rambut

My nephew turned 1 month old on the 13th May 2013.

As customs dictate, a ceremony is to be held for celebration. While the origin is pretty obscure and with the situation lately in following Islamic Traditions and Sunnah, we decide to see the event as a gathering of sorts for all family members.

The ceremony usually involves a marhaban, a group of men, reciting prayers for the parents and the baby well being, a sweet melody of singing in Arabic, praising God and His Messenger.

The highlight was when the men will have to stand and they will snip off bits of the baby's hair.

It was first lead by the paternal grandparents, maternal grandparents, paternal uncles/aunts older than my BIL and lastly maternal uncles/aunts older than my sis. And that's yours truly.

No expenses was spared for this celebration. We drew up a list of 300 guests:

100 from my parents siblings and their kids alone.
100 of My sister & BiL friends / colleagues
50 family members from my BiL side alone and
The rest is from other family members friends.

Number of dishes: 09 exclude rice.
Desserts: officially 5 but we receive additional 4 from guests

Event coordinator - Me.

Unlike sister's wedding, we don't have helpers but decide to rope in my cousin and friends for help.

I was definitely slogging in the food prep area and checking on the buffet, ensure guests are well fed, food is fully stock up and guests don't leave empty handed.

I am not a stranger to all these but even though it's nice to do it, it's also tiring and taxing to manage it.

Luckily I took OIL and Leave on Monday and Tuesday. True enough my back hurts like crap.

Overall, food is nice and it was a successful event.

I hope that we could do such events more to gather relatives and friends for catch up.

Amin.

No comments: