Sunday, May 24, 2015

Culinary

Bismillahirrahmannirrahim,

And so, Abang Hisham, a figure whom I have known for at least 2 decades asked about my journey to cooking. Sulaiman, also ask me to write something exciting to which I am still thinking about his idea. See the snapshot from my facebook. Let's take an idea at a time.


The first time I learn how to cook was when Mr L came to stay over at my place one weekend and he requested for Mak to teach him how to cook her version of Mee Siam Goreng. So it was on a Sunday morning, Mr L and I (I was 17 years old and Mr L was 21), stand beside Mak and watch her cook a whole packet of Bee Hoon. 

At 17 years old I was not  impressed about it. However, it was much much later when the real spark took place - when I notice Mak isn't as strong as she was. It was in 2008 when I moved out of my parents home and start staying on my own - when I had to buy food instead of getting home cook food. To quote the Queen of Caldecott Hill, why cook when $3.00 can buy a packet of rice? 

Cooking can be an expensive hobby.

Anyway, the discovery for cooking started when I came back for Hari Raya in 2008 and I notice it was a very slow going for Mak. During Hari Raya there are 3 dishes that Mak will always cook and NEVER forego: 

1. Sambal Goreng 
2. Ayam Goreng Manis
3. Kuah Lodeh

I am sure most of you are familiar with dish 1 & 3, however not many is aware of dish 2. Try google it and you will never find the recipe. I will never release it as it is our family recipe for many many years.

Ayam Goreng Manis, had found its way to most of friends' tummy and since I refuse to share how we came up with recipe, they are contented to be invited to feast on it once a year and if I am nice, twice a year. 


There are many spices that is used for Ayam Goreng Manis. The preparation to cook this dish takes hours let alone to cook it. 

For the 3 dishes, Mak will NEVER, i repeat NEVER, use the blender. She cuts everything finely and use large quantities of it. She said blended ingredients dissolve the taste and to her it is most pleasurizing to prepare / cook it in the very traditional way. 

That got me thinking. If Mak one day isn't around, how do we deal with this. 

Hence I started to learn how to cook from then on. It seems natural to start learning how to cook your favorite dishes first.

Mak is my teacher for traditional malay dishes. The passing or excellent point was in 2009, when I came  home on the eve of Raya with a tupperware full of Ayam Goreng Manis. Her reaction upon me reaching the door, was to grab the tupperware, open it and scoop a spoonful of it and she tasted the gravy. 

What she said? 

"ahh..sama macam Mak punya...(ahhh same like mine)" That was the ultimate approval that I wanted.

Mr L is my teacher for cantonese / thai / ang  moh dishes. 

When I was staying in an apartment with full facility, I made use of the kitchen by cooking. It was a fantastic 2 years where I made use of it to evolve. 

Fastforward to today, I made full use of Mr L kitchen. I learn how to bake as well. Thus, with the support I received, Bachelor Bakes was born. 

Every year, I will host a catch up session during the CNY long holidays. I will prepare all the dishes in advance and cook up a storm in the kitchen. 

Friends whom I have the honour to cook for can vouch for me the effort that I took in each dishes, from preparing to presenting, that I love to cook and it shows. 

I do hope one day, I can host Abang Hisham to my own annual gathering, Inshaa Allah. 

Love, 
Aidil Edzwan 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.