Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Nura J

Many of you would be familiar with the above mentioned name. You probably have watched her on TV - Krayon or seen her in the New Paper Face Finalist back then or even read her blog. (see my blog lists)

I have never watched Krayon coz i m too old for that and I was least interested in the New Paper Face contest because I have this "personal" opinion for ALL beauty contest that unless you are a mix, they will never want to to let a native Singaporean to be the winner (Pure Chinese, Malay or Indian). (yeah i m shallow - whatever)

But the darling sister was a follower of this Lady - Nura J and she always over breakfast, tells me to read her blog. Well occasionally I did and I took part in a contest and won but I never claim the prize...(Nura..funny lei..can't find the winning post :P)

I liked how she manage to open up Bottoms Up Club, produced a book with Nyla and eventually, becoming a real estate property agent. Let's all doa that she will be a Real Estate Magnate someday!

Last year November, the boss turn 35 and decide there and then that it is time for him to get a HDB flat. Like all typical Singaporeans - who is single - they will want to have a place of their own.

The problem is, the boss is a frequent traveller and has no time at all to even engage an agent. Hence one day the boss pass the whole job to me.

Of course I dilly dally as it is non of my business. At that time, I was aware that Nura is already in the industry and was still green in the industry and I didn't thought much of her. I wanted to contact friends in the contact list or maybe go back to DTZ which handled my parent's HDB purchase 10 years back - coincidentally, I was the one who manage all the appointments, decided which loan to get and the approval which house to buy - Dad was the Financial Controller. :P

Then when the boss finally "bang" table, I had to get my act together. I remember it was nearing Chinese New Year when I contacted her and we arrange to meet up at Jurong East Cafe Library.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, my last experience was my parent's current unit and that was years ago. Hence before I met her, I went online to HDB website and read up more on the resale requirements/criteria. Then I went up to my boss to confirm / get the following:

1. Unit Type - 4 / 5 room Jurong or 4 Room Clementi
2. Budget - $380K to $450K
3. Loan - Bank / HDB (to compare)
4. Photocopy of I/C, 15 months CPF statement, 3 months payslip, letter of employment
5. Low COV - HAPRAK PUN TAKPE (Boss wanna do a full renovation so a non-furnished is to his advantage)

I remembered sitting quietly when the trio entered - Nura J, followed by a couple.
I was introduced to Saat and Alina.

After sharing of information, clarifying etc, meeting wrapped up and off we go.

I remembered the first thing she did was to get a Home Loan Eligibility for my boss and that came in sometime on the 7th March 2013. That's the most important - regardless how much CASH you have, always find out how much HDB can offer a loan to you.

My boss find that HDB interest rate too high but i pointed out to him, that it is better than a bank loan and since he is a first time buyer, should take this opportunity. He was initially skeptical about my view and I think he went around asking and came back to tell me to proceed with the whole arrangement. (boss, i told you so!)

Nura tried to set up a few appointments for house viewing but for some reasons, it didn't materialise. I was beginning to get frustrated - since boss is chasing me. Hence end up, I realise that if I want to close this, I need to do something. I log on to property guru.

I will short list a few houses around the area that boss specify, pass it to boss for vetting and then get Nura to call their agents up. It's easier and faster because:

1. We know the location
2. We know the type of unit and the price and the floor size

Finally in March, we started house viewing. We went to quite a number of houses and finally sometime in 23rd May 2013, we were narrowing down to some units that my boss really like.

On the 26th May 2013, my boss finally decided on the unit at Yung An Road and I am glad that on the 6th September 2013, he got his keys and on 9th September 2013, renovation started.

In between there were LOTS of paperwork and I value and appreciate very much to both Nura and of course Abang Saat input.

What paperwork? Since boss decided on 26th May 2013 and he sign off the papers, I have to rush off to find interior designer and hasten the 2nd appointment (6 weeks between the 1st and 2nd lei!). Boss got pretty good taste and went to 4 Interior Designers before settling for the winner. You can imagine my frustration. Once that was done, all necessary permits have to be applied and since unit is still under the previous owner's name, we had to do a lot of paperwork in between.

I also have to credit Abang Saat. He appears very unfriendly. However first impression is never right (YES I HAD AN IMPRESSION OF NURA J TOO BUT THATS BETWEEN ME AND HER ALRIGHT???). I have to admit that WITHOUT his input, it was tough convincing my boss too.

He brought with him his YEARS of experience. His knowledge of the industry is very deep and HE can answer ANY questions I have. This is necessary so that both parties do not have any misunderstandings. His opinion carried some weight and whenever I need to pass an information to boss and if I tell boss that it was Saat who mentioned it, there will be no further questions on it.

Some of you may wonder if I have a stupid boss or something. No, my boss is smart. He just wants someone to go thru the details for him and keep him out of trouble and ensure that all is done in a smooth manner.

My boss surprised me - he said why did you pick Malay Property Agents? Is it because you are Malay?

I said no. I myself don't know why I pick them but i guess, it is takdir. Maybe because I believe that since this is boss first purchase, it is crucial to go slowly and with patience. Some agents don't like to dilly dally and hence I think I made the right choice - by choosing the units I want to view and pass it to the agent to facilitate the viewing and the follow up. In that particular area, you all have to admit, being Muslims, we are told to have patience at all times.

So yes, here is my entry and it is only right I conclude this "HUGE" episode of my life (You all think la since about CNY until almost 3rd quarter of 2013 then can conclude) and today I met Nura J for coffee and to pass her the cheque which boss prepared for quite a while. He left the date blank until he reached home after collecting the keys...wakakkaka (sorry cant help it).

In summary, during my contact with them, I do observed some unprofessional engagement going on NOT from them but from prospective clients.

1. Property Agents are doing a job. You think they are just being the middle person - when in fact they do much more. They do have their reputation to uphold
2. You think 1% or 2% agent fees is a lot of money for some pieces of paper but that isnt paper my dear...that's your property which is in their hands.
3. Please don't do referral and after that hope to get some sorts of comms out of them. It doesn't work that way.
4. Always, do your homework first before engaging them, when in doubt clarify. Both parties must work together
5. Don't expect them to find a house for you - always FIND your preference first. You are not their only client on the list. Once you find already, pass it to them to engage the list of homes you are interested in. If there's a match, good..if there isn't continue finding.
6. Do not think ill of others at first impression. Give them a chance - they also want to earn a living right? Do you really want God to judge you before your time comes?

I am truly in awe of this energetic mom who make time for family, friends, clients etc and I am truly and honestly deeply humbled by her dedication to help my boss and also her sincerity in building a friendship... - Mr E - you are a lucky husband and Nyla is a lucky girl! :) My sincere doa for you and hopefully you will be as successful as Saidatina Khadijah. Amin.

Thank you.














 

No comments: