Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bomoh & Rezeki

Good Evening all,

After such a long disappearance, finally I decide to write something that i simply came across today.
Bomoh in English simply means witch doctor while Rezeki is a malay word translated from Arabic which equates to the meaning Providence.

Now, why i write something out about this because, i had my fair share of ups and downs in life. I m 30 this year and i am sure some of you have been thru bad times as well.

Now, as a muslim, we always believe in God granting us providence. It may come in various forms - the salary that we earn, an extra job that we get to earn more, food given from next door neighbours or friends that can sustain us for a day or anything that can help us.

Islam has never allowed us to believe in heresy that compromise our morality standing in the sight of the Almighty. Never to associate Him with others. This is evident in His Firman (word) to us in the Quran - Surah Al Araf Verse 187 to 192. I think these few verses, describes the whole situation well on associating Him with others.

Therefore, when upon asking providence there are many things we have to consider:

1. Self
many forgot that providence is provided to us, if one is self - righteous, religion abiding to His Command. You are required to work for that providence, find ways to earn a living with what you have. If you are strong go out and work, if you are weak, do something within your capability. begging for money IS not working.

2. Surrender
many dont remember to surrender completely on sustenance. One should never despair but continue to surrender whole heartedly

3. Beseech
Pray and pray and pray for his Help for He loves to hear our pleas for Help. Remember that tears of regret & help is more favoured by Him so it is a loss if you do not do it.

4. Effort
As long as effort is made, rest assured providence will be given to you.

However, if you decide to turn to bomoh to ensure the success of your business rather than beseeching the Almighty, you are making a stupid mistake.

Perhaps you may be happy for a while but there will be more trouble leading to it.

The iman in our hearts is not always at the top level, at times it drops very low or reach as high as it can go. The devil will always try to hit us and ensure that our iman shattered in order to push out to the wrong path.

Before you embark on such project, i suggest you learn how to manage things wisely first, prepare enough capital to last you if your efforts failed you.

While writing this, I tried to remember the many incidences that i came across based on personal and when others is around. I am not saying that I am a righteous fellow or a favoured person by Him. No. I am not, but if we surrender completely to Him, Insya Allah, we will be rewarded.

Sometime back in 2005, i was still new at my job, earning a miserable pay. It was one of those Fridays that i have to go to the mosque. It was about a few days to pay day but my bank account was totally $0.00! I was like worried how do i have to survive for lunch. I didnt want to think much about it as i can still survive on biscuits in the office and all i need to do is endure.

Off i went to the mosque & silently prayed that i wont go hungry. Silently prayed in my heart how sorry i am for not able to put some small token to the donation box.

After prayers, i left slowly with the rest easing out of the small gate. Near to the entrance of the gate is a small make-shift stall selling kuehs for less than $2.00. I could not even afford that.

As i was coming closer & my eyes scanned the table, i can see, all sort of kuehs...it definitely made me hungry..i was about to turn my head away when a malay lady at the table manning the foodstall, smiled at me.

I return her smile & was about to quickly walk out when she stopped me. This is what she said,"Adik, tadi ada orang datang sedekah beriyani  & kakak di amanahkan untuk memberi kepada sesiapa sahaja. Ni tinggal sebungkus sahaja..adik ambil lah ye..."

For the benefit of the non-malay readers i will repeat it in english.

This is what she said,"Adik, just now there is someone who came to donate beriyani (the nasi beriyani) & Kakak is entrusted to give this away to anyone & here left 1 packet only. Please take it"

You can imagine my reaction. I offered my thanks, smile at her while tears glistened in my eyes.

I went to the nearest void deck & ate till i was full! I was very happy. You can imagine my tears while i ate...i thank Him for being so nice to me even when i was so against Him. You can imagine the love He has for us and yet we disrespect him.

That was one. The next one happen 2 years ago.

Those of you who know my mom knows how soft spoken & friendly she is to anyone. She is in fact a Queen of the household. You all know that she is one of a kind. She can compromise anythign with us on worldly matters EXCEPT religion issues. That one has no room for negotiation. I know, i was a privilege of this tutelage.

Those who know me that 2 years ago, it was a difficult time for the family financially as there were only 2 incomes coming in - me & dad.

Two years ago, my home aircon broke down & so did the fridge. My parents had good financial savings so they pool whatever they had kept to purchase a new aircon which we inherited from the previous owner & a new fridge. Total cost was $2.6K.

We were at Harvey Norman buying a new fridge. As we purchased more than a certain more, we were entitled to a "scratch & win" card. The minimal price is $1.00 and the maximum is $200.00

I was never lucky but Mother was with me on that day together with Dad. I always believe that Allah favoured my mother for her job in raising us up.

I was paying the bills with the cash that mom gave me while she is beside me and dad was somewhere behind us. I was happily scratching when i saw the amount $1.00. I smiled at mother and continue scratching at the 2nd card. Lo & Behold, i saw the digit $2 and scratch harder and reveal $200.00!

The sales assistants who attended to us got shocked as we were the first winners of that voucher & we had $201 to offset on our next purchase.

My mother's reaction was more predictable. The moment she heard it she goes "Alhamdulillah".

No prizes for guessing where did that $201 went to - my performance bonus was in July & i bought my dad a new TV which he had been harping for together with my bonus.

So you see, if only we trust Him in our problems - Insya Allah He will ensure providence is enough for us. I have never dreamt of becoming rich but i always hope He provides me more NOT because i m greedy but because i want to give out more to others. Our monies or wealth are not solely for us. A lot of lives can change if they benefit from our charity. I always prayed that He sustained me in good health and wealth so that my family can benefit from me & each salary day i begin with thanks and prayer and i proceed to part with my money very early in the morning to the household before i pass it on to charity.

Some call it waste of time. I call it an investment. Insya Allah we will be rewarded many times more than what a bomoh can ever do for us.

This post is dedicated to a friend who has gone thru a lot in life & i respect her as the person she is. A very responsible person who knows what she wants in life & who cares much for her mother, for remember that there are many reasons for rezeki..more than 30 reasons and one of them, is caring for your parents will ensure rezeki to be given to you. Insya Allah.

No comments: